Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Norman Wisdom

Some day in 1979 a bloke in the Middles called Nigel Scorgie (Ha 1978) looked me up and down and said, "You're name is Norman." I was Norman - or Norm -  from that day on to almost everyone at school. 'Scorge' (whom I met last year at a reunion having not seen him since he left Haileybury 27 years previously) said later that he gave me the name as he thought I looked like Norman Wisdom, a personage of whom I then knew nothing. I vividly remember the moment when on my first day at University I made the decision on being asked my name that I would choose to be called Luke by my contemporaries, and put childish things away. Norman Wisdom died today. You make up your mind on the similarities - or lack of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment