Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Harder than it seemed!

Gp Capt Peter Townsend (L 1928) knew there were lots!
Well, I thought it would be easy and it has not been. I thought I could do better and I have not. My plan, during the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, was to put the published list of the "Few" against the Haileybury Register and come up with a definitive list of the "Few OHs". I thought I could beat RL Ashcroft who, being a Housemaster of Lawrence published the list of those from that House. I thought I could do better than Andrew Hambling who, in his Haileybury in Two World Wars simply repeats RLA's list and adds in a few anecdotes. But it has turned out to be a harder task than it seems. There are just so many - even the few were actually quite a lot and there are masses of OHs. I have got to "D" and found five or six to add to the list. I still hope to get finished, but not even I can claim it is still summer, and reluctantly I have turned on the heating in church and admit I have not got the task done.

No comments:

Post a Comment