Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ties


The obituary of HH Maharaja Sriraj of Dhrangadhara (E 1936.3) mentioned that he took a great interest in the design of club ties. On the General Committee of the Society recently we have been discussing the design of a tie which would be suitable to wear to meetings in the modern business world. Personally, as I said when accepting the nomination as President Elect at the AGM last year, I don't get to wear ties as much as I used to. So I have been glad of the advent of the socks. Nevertheless ties are a great thing, and I guess His Highness would have been one of those who delight in the fact that there are so many variants of the "OH" tie. Town and country and crest; Oxford and Cambridge; shooting and rugby and golf, and of course  the Society tie with the winged hearts and crossed swords and anchors. I expect I have missed some, and I have noted the increasing tendency to House loyalty with members wearing their House Society ties.

Ties from the Bear Pub in Oxford. There is an OH tie in the top row, 6th from the left

The Maharaja is not wearing a tie in the picture that went with the obituary but don't let that stop you reading the life of an extraordinary man whose birth was celebrated by "the beating of war drums and the release of all Dhrangadhara-Halvad's prisoners, and towards the end of his life designed Indian tartan on a computer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment