Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Holiday?

Not at Haileybury; at least not today. No holiday for the Royal Wedding either. To this day I am not up to speed with Bank Holidays as we did not have them at school nor at university unless they fell into the vacation anyway. In the church one manages one's own time pretty much (at least I did as a Vicar; now things are a bit different), so I never really took much notice of Bank Holidays until I had children at Primary School and they had the day off. Haileybury even made the parents work on Friday as, hot foot from the Mall, I went up to school with my wife for the Lower School II Parents' Evening.


As I said to the grumbling young on the way back to the beginning of term, they do get much longer school holidays. Of course they were swift to point out that they have to work on Saturday mornings. We did some rough sums and it all seems to add up to much the same teaching time in the end.

While I was at school we had a half holiday for the birth of the Master's daughter. There is of course also the famous Haileybury story of the 'rebellion' when the end of the Boer War was not marked by a holiday. No rebellion for the lack of Royal Wedding holiday. Are we less patriotic, or more obedient?

No comments:

Post a Comment