Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hair Cut!

It was off to school again today for the young. The last thing to do before setting off was get a hair cut. There were some protests (though not from the young man in the picture who went resignedly to his fate)!


I once went into Hertford to get a 'trim' and was greeted by the barber with the words, "College boy? I know what you will need." He took a razor to my head, and in those days of 80s 'big hair' I was shorn.

LS Milford states that from the foundation of the College to the time of his writing (37 years) Mr Dickins the hairdresser came twice a week. I think there was someone who came in my days in the 80s, but I seem to think that was only for those whose hair had grown beyond the limits tolerated by the rules. I wonder what your recollections are?

The rules now are for boys that your hair must be off the collar and the ears. Girls in the Vths and below must wear their hair tied back. Boys must be clean shaven. That may seem obvious, but the local secondary schools here in London seem to allow their young men to be barbarous if they so choose, as did, of course, the East India College.

No comments:

Post a Comment