Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Servant

After tonight's service at S Paul's cathedral at which I was installed as Archdeacon of Hampsted there was a wonderful surprise when someone came over and said 'You won't remember me, but you were my fag.' I thought Ihad not seen Jim Dodgin (H 1978) since he left in 1980, but he reminded me that I had entertained him to tea - made by my fag - in 1984 when I was at the top of the school.

Fagging was of course open to abuse, but the £7 a term I was paid by Jim for cleaning his shoes, making his bed and tidying his study was riches indeed. It also meant that I had a supporter in the VI who would not stand for anyone else pushing me about (too much). In those days Removes had no private space at all - linving in the dormitory and in the DC, and there were moments, once it had been tidied, and when he was out, that Jim's study could be mine.

You were my Fag
There was also an arm chair, which had been Jim's and which I aquired when he left. It took that chair right up the school, and jolly comfy it was too. I wonder what happened to it.

I know it could be a bad thing, but fagging was a system that had a lot of good in it too. Being a servant for a bit made me alert to those who serve me in different ways in life. Amid all the gradeur of the Cathedral (and what fun it was!) it did me no harm at all tonight to be reminded of how to be a boss and to be reminded that I was and still am a servant.

Thanks to all those others who came tonight to support and pray for me - there were lots of Haileybury people there. More tomorrow and maybe some very good news indeed in the next couple of days about that which was lost and which might now have been found.

No comments:

Post a Comment