Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Magenta

Main Street, Magenta

"What is that man wearing on his feet?" My wife had to admit to her neighbour at speech day that she did know me as I sat on the stage and my OH socks were suddenly on view to the audience below. 

Magenta is a striking colour; not exactly subtle. It got its name from a town in Italy where a battle in 1859 caused the ground to be dyed with the blood of the fallen. Haileybury uses a particular shade, about which more on another occasion, but for now here are some pictures of the town whose sanguinary history gave the name to the colour we wear.

Once bloody battlefield

Memorial to those whose blood coloured the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment