Welcome

Haileyburiana is a miscellany of things I got up to as President of the Haileybury Society in 2010 - 2011 and random musings on things to do with Haileybury. Whether you are an OH, a current pupil or parent, a teacher or other friend of the school I hope you will find something interesting here. The blog is no longer regularly updated, but there may still be occasional posts.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Careers Fair

Yesterday the Society organized a careers fair at Haileybury. I was enjoying being a parent at the Lower School production of Beauty and the Beast (which was fantastic!) but Oliver Ryder was on the spot and reports as follows:


'I've just returned from taking part in the inaugural Haileybury Society Careers Fair in Big School, which was brilliantly organised by Robin Bishop and his team. Although my friend and fellow clergyman Tim Horlock (Trev 85-90) and I weren't inundated with students passionate to hear about a career in the Church of England (!), they were certainly an inspiring and attentive group of young individuals full of confidence and hopefulness as they set sail on the next stage of their lives. It was a joy to return to the school on a sunny English summer's day and see what had and hadn't changed and to reflect on memories, both good and bad! I wasn't the most diligent student during my time at Haileybury but in the year's since I've been amazed at how God can redeem the past and use it for a better future. I pray that all the students will know this transforming love.' Oliver Ryder (Colvin 88-93)



The Rev'ds Oliver Ryder (left) and Tim Horlock (Tr 85) yesterday

Oliver has sent this note about himself: Rev'd Oliver Ryder (Colvin '88-'93); BA Hons, Art History, University of East Anglia; Diploma in Theology, Ridley Hall Theological College, Cambridge; Church of England Priest; currently final year curate in the gritty multicultural parish of Tollington, North London. After university I did a Graduate Training Scheme with Sotheby's auction house before spending five years working as a reporter for the Christian Charity Alpha International. My work with Alpha primarily involved interviewing people about their experiences of God. During that time I sensed a call to full time ordained Christian ministry and went to theological college. My main passion in life is to help people discover the love of God and that a relationship with him is the most exciting thing in the world and brings meaning, purpose and direction to everything else. 

He is about (1st September) to become Vicar of S Mark's Kensal Rise in London NW10 - a large and vibrant church and a big appointment - best wishes to him. He says OHs welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment